I am wondering if you have any suggestions to help rekindle the fire of the high priests in the Ward?
Mike, from: Hilo, Hawaii
Perhaps a couple of things to consider—
1) You can’t teach old high priests anything. They already think they know it all.
2) Most of the high priests have been around the block a few times. It’s hard to get people excited about jumping through the same hoops time after time.
3) Most high priests have learned that the Mormon Church is not really that much of a volunteer church. The concept of authority flowing down from the top is rather deeply ingrained. So it’s probably wise not to ask for volunteers but to just make assignments.
4) After a life of service most high priests have a great respect for priesthood authority and tend to respond well when they are called by those in authority to positions of service.
Aaaah– that’s the key. Organize meaningful quorum programs and activities. Issue a calling to the various high priests to accept a given call. When doing so,
a) clearly outline the expectations of the position;
b) follow up by reminding them of what they are expected to do.
c) Require accountability. Set up appointments for each one to report on the progress or fulfilment of his activities. If they have not been completed, the process repeats itself–make the assignment specific and clear; follow-up to get a commitment of fulfilment; require a reporting of progress or completion.
What meaningful activities could the high priests be involved in?
1. Home teaching. Home teaching is a tremendously important assignment. After making sure that the person knows that the calling to be home teacher is a priesthood function that comes directly from the Lord Himself, get a commitment from the home teacher to visit his families in the FIRST WEEK OF THE MONTH–not the second week, or any time thereafter–THE FIRST WEEK!! The assignment IS IMPORTANT! Make it so!
2. Organize and call specific high priests and their wives to attend proxy sealing sessions in the temple once a month. I would suggest defining a given night of the week and call four couples to fulfill the temple sealing assignment, say, on the first Tuesday of every month. Assign another four couples the second Tuesday, another four the third Tuesday and another four the fourth Tuesday. Now find someone who can be trusted to faithfully fulfil a calling, and give him the assignment to contact each of the couples to verify that they will fulfil their assignment. There will be times when conflicts occur, and a given couple may not be able to go. The contact person now has the responsibility of finding another couple who can take their place on that night, so that four couples will attend the temple on each Tuesday night, without fail. Can you imagine how the spirituality of the Ward will be effected if sixteen couples regularly attend the temple each month??
Do you have any suggestions to help rekindle the fire of the high priests in the Ward?
filter by category
All Abortion Addictions Afterlife Babies Baptism Bible Blessings Blog Book of Mormon Brigham Young Callings Church History Current issues Death Depression Divorce Doctrine & Covenants Education Etymology Faith Family Family History Family Roots Forgiveness God Gratitude Happiness Health Hobbies Holy Ghost Homosexuality Jesus Christ Joseph Smith Knowledge LDS Church LDS Scriptures Life's Lessons Love Marriage Miracles Miscellaneous Missionary Work Mormon Mormon Doctrine Mormon Faith Mormon Policy Music Natural Phenomena Obedience Offerings Pearl of Great Price Personal Revelation Personal Searching Podcast Prayer Premortal Life Preparedness Priesthood Prophets Repentance Revelation Sabbath Day Sacrament Satan Scriptures Second Coming Self Worth Sexual Issues Temples Testimony Tithing Trials Word of Wisdom World History Worthiness
December 11, 2013 8:06 am
Question Gramps, I understand that there will be mortals during the Millenium until they grow old as a tree. They will not die but will be changed to their immortal... (more)
December 10, 2013 7:14 am
Question Hi Gramps, My husband and I have four boys together, 11, 9, 8, 6. We were married in the temple 6 months after returning from our missions. My husband’s brother... (more)
December 9, 2013 6:54 am
Question Gramps, We have a friend who is taking the discussions. His assignment last week was to read Enos. He had an interesting question. He asked if Enos was ever... (more)
December 8, 2013 12:46 am
Question Gramps, After Lucifer and 1/3 part of the angels were cast out, I assume that Satan wanted to do everything he could to keep us from returning to Heavenly... (more)
December 7, 2013 6:30 am
Question Gramps, If the leadership in Salt Lake City have not given guidelines on a given topic, can a local unit make policy? For instance, old Primary guidelines precluded snacks... (more)
December 6, 2013 5:45 am
Question Gramps, I wonder what the difference is if someone with the priesthood prays for someone who is sick and they get healed compared to a preacher in another church... (more)
December 5, 2013 6:07 am
Question Dear Gramps, I have a lusting problem. Fortunately, I don’t have a pornography problem. I have tried and tried and tried for over 30 years now to overcome looking... (more)
December 4, 2013 8:31 am
Question Dear Gramps, This is my first time asking someone questions like this other than the Lord of course. My mother shortly got converted after I did. She was happy,... (more)
December 3, 2013 6:41 am
Question Gramps, Hi, I am a member of the church. I am just trying to understand how to use the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible and combine it... (more)
December 2, 2013 7:01 am
Question Dear Gramps, I was wondering if there is any archaeological evidence to support things mentioned in the Book of Mormon such as wheat, barley, copper, and steel in America?... (more)
December 1, 2013 12:05 am
Question Dear Gramps, Of what value is great physical beauty if the inside is what’s important? Why did the Lord even create great physical beauty when He only looks upon... (more)
November 30, 2013 7:53 am
Question I’m LDS. I’m very happy to be and so is my husband. We have been married for 32 years and our marriage is sealed but lately we have been... (more)